Pages

Saturday 7 November 2015

Module 1, Chapter 10: Zigzag book, Pages 2, 3 and 4

ZIGZAG BOOK, PAGE 2, STAINED GLASS WINDOW


Zigzag Book, Page 2: Stained Glass Window.
Techniques: Colour Mixing with Black and White (Chapter 1.4); and Wax Resist  Painting (Chapter 6).
Materials: Brush; Watercolours (ultramarine, Chinese White, Ivory Black);
Silver Metallic Wax Crayon.
Inspiration: John Piper, especially the Baptistry Window in Coventry Cathedral;
Paul Klee for the way he used colour; The Gherkin for shapes of glass.

SKETCHBOOK PAGES

Note: I had an idea of what I wanted, using diamonds and triangles, following diagonal lines, a bit like the way the glass flows in The Gherkin, but  using colour shaded from light to dark. However,I didn't have the courage of my convictions, and after playing around in the little A6 sketchbook I decided this was too complicated, so I wimped out and produced something much simpler and safer. Now I regret it, and wish I'd been braver and bolder and stuck to my original idea and tried something a little different. 



















*********************************************************************************

ZIGZAG BOOK, PAGE 3, THE SEA

Scanned Page of Zigzag Book, Page 3: The Sea.
Techniques: Colour Mixing Chapter 1); Decorated Paper (Chapter 4)
Materials: Paint Brush; Spatula; Watercolours (Prussian Blue, Lemon and White ); Liquid Acrylic Wax; Pollyfilla Toothbrushes; Sandpaper; Glue; Photocopy of Photo of Pier.
Inspiration: Visits to seaside; The Great Wave, by Katsushika Hokusai.

Downloaded photo of Zigzag Book, Page 3: The Sea. This comes out much lighter than the scanned page. 
The actual colour is probably closer to the scanned page, but not quite so dark, and bluer. 

SKETCHBOOK PAGES 

Note: This was going to be nice and simple - a decorated page, like the papers in Chapter 4, using acrylics and a comb or brush to get some texture... But my seascape took over and that's not what I ended up with! I'm not sure if what I've done really works, but I like it, and I've been brave and tried something different this time. The colours look more sea-greeny-blue in the book than they do here (my computer doesn't always produce colours very well), and there are some dark purpley blue patches as well - it's supposed to look like a stormy sea, with a glimpse of a rather fairy-tale looking building.














*********************************************************************

ZIGZAG BOOK, PAGE 4, BLUE AND WHITE CHINA

Zigzag Book, Page 3: Blue and White China/Porcelain
Technique: Mark Making to make patterns (chapter 1); Cutting and Stacking (Chapter 5).
Materials: Card; Coloured Pencils; Watercolour Pencils; Crayons: Emulsion Paint.
Inspiration: Blue and White China/Porcelain.


SKETCHBOOK PAGES

Note: Some of the pieces look very white here, but they are all different shades of very pale blue, The background is emulsion paint, from one of those little sample pots. The fragments at the bottom of the page are cut and stuck into position, and overlap, so they look layered, but you can't see the effect in the photo above. I could have got a bit more blue in there, and done a stronger background, and more detailed patterns, but on the whole I'm quite pleased with this, and it's worked out pretty much as I imagined.








*********************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment