Pages

Sunday 12 October 2014

Warhol Apples Take One...


Creative Sketchbook, Module 1,
Chapter 2,
Activity 2.1.

Andy Warhol style painting of fruit/veg

Complementary colours are the ‘pairs’ found on opposite sides of the colour wheel, eg yellow/purple, green/red, blue /orange. A primary colour is always opposite the secondary colour which doesn’t contain that primary colour, and complementary colours intensify each other.Using solid blocks of colour in this way made me feel like a small child again, filling in the pictures in a colouring book! I thought the patterns produced were very striking – I’d usually opt for something much less bold. It was fun to do (even if I don’t like Andy Warhol) and interesting to see just how vibrant complementary colours can look alongside each other.
 

However, it did seem to use a lot of paint (especially the green/red version, where I used the paints straight from the tubes).  And  my surface isn’t very uniform surface.
 
 

Notes to Self:

·         Never, ever, ever paint all around the edge of a shape, then try to infill, because it produces a nasty, hard line of paint which doesn’t blend in with the centre – presumably because it’s dried as you work!

·         Make sure you mix enough paint – I ran out of purple half-way through, and it was jolly difficult trying to match the colour and hide the ‘join’.

·         Painting a solid block of colour every which way looks messy. For the purposes of this exercise I guess it doesn’t matter, but for a proper painting it might. 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment