Pages

Sunday 30 March 2014

3: MAKE A COLOUR STUDY OF YOUR WALL

3: MAKE A COLOUR STUDY OF YOUR WALL

I found this colour study quite difficult, mainly I think because I don’t have a good enough grounding in artistic techniques. I’m still not happy with my final effort, which doesn’t really conveys the colours in the wall very realistically, and looks a little childish and unfinished. I couldn’t get the shades I wanted, or build up the gradations of colour, or show the kind of stippled effect very successfully. Eventually I reached the point where anything I did to try and improve my work made it worse, so I decided to leave it as it is.



When trying to translate an image like the wall into a textile, it might be easier to work from a photograph or photocopy, or to use other techniques, like printing, to portray an image – or perhaps to try sponging the colour on or something like that.

Painting is obviously something I need to work on, and I think it will be easier to follow if  someone shows me (rather than reading a book). My elder daughter and my mother both paint, but the artistic gene seems to have passed me by. Mum is 86, and does the most beautifully detailed watercolours of  flowers, like botanical paintings. Her colour and shading is brilliant - just like the real thing. So I’m going to ask her to give me some lessons next time I stay.

However, despite my lack f talent, I’ve had the most enormous fun, and really enjoyed playing around with paint. My experiments made me look more closely at the world around me, and I learned a lot about watercolours, and brush techniques – but I need to learn a whole lot more!

Anyway, here are some pictures f some f my experiments.












And finally, I couldn't resist including a couple of Paul Klee's paintings in my sketchbook: Uhne Titel, because that's the kind of effect I wanted to achieve in  my painting, and Clarification, because I love it, and it's a very different way of building colours. I treated myself to a trip to London a couple of weeks ago, so I could see the Klee exhibition at the Tate (and  I was able to meet up with my younger daughter, which was wonderful). I love Paul Klee's work, and the exhibits on display were truly inspirational - the way he used colour is amazing.  I spent ages peering at the gradations of colour, and wandering how on earth he did it. Sadly, I can't aspire to anything like that, but I've dne my best, and had a go.






No comments:

Post a Comment