Pages

Sunday 30 March 2014

2: OBSERVATIONS - Wall Rubbings

2: RECORD YOUR OBSERVATIONS OF THE WALL: RUBBINGS

I did a number of rubbings, on black and white tissue, mainly using wax crayons and oil pastels, but I also tried soft chalky pastels, chalk, and charcoal. I stuck some of them into the sketch book (I folded them in half, with a bit of baking parchment inserted as protection to stop them smudging - another time I might invest in in a can of spray protection stuff). In addition to the ones in the notebook, I have some in a plastic wallet, but I've only reproduced one here. I think something with more texture might have been better to work from, but once I started embroidering I was much happier!


This was the bit of the wall I selected from my rubbing - I did try other bits, but I rather liked the way the lines radiated out on this one.


The two photos below show my thoughts on my observations of the wall. Mostly the pattern was made by the edges of the stones, rather than the texture of the surfaces, which is something I should have given more thought to initially. I thought the difference between the stones, and that grainy kind of filling between them was interesting, and the bits of lichen - I tried looking at them when I did the marks on paper for the paper weaving.



No comments:

Post a Comment